Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DIY Vase

I am ABSOLUTELY obsessed with vases. I probably have at least 10 in my house right now. I also have a crazy love for dried naturals. My love for them grows when they are 50% off at Hobby Lobby. Back to vases - the floor vases can be VERY expensive. I have purchased a few decent priced ones from Old Time Pottery. After we built our dining room table, I was determined to add some vases to add more character to the room. I found a few DIY vases online, but none that I fell in love with. I gathered ideas from a few sources, and decided to make my own. I liked the idea of using oatmeal cans from the blog "Frugal Ain't Cheap", but I wanted to add my own spin on it.
To start this project, I got three large size oatmeal cans. I carefully peeled off the labels. I cut the bottoms out of two of the cans. Then I taped them all together with a clear packing tape. There was a little bit of a bubble from the tape, but it was not noticeable on the finished product. I purchased a twine to wrap them with. Starting from the bottom, I wrapped twine around it using hot glue to keep it in place. I made sure there was no space between any of the lines. This was a very time consuming process. It took me about two hours to finish it up. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I was meticulously hot gluing and wrapping.
And here is the final product:
I was quite pleased with the way it turned out! I added some dried naturals, and BAM, I had a perfect vase for my dining room. The entire vase cost me about $11. 


No comments:

Post a Comment